Monday, February 14, 2005

Looking forward and then bringing it back

Another Valentines Day that, to the world’s standards, wasn’t quite up to par. It was most evident when I stopped by the grocery store after work to pick up a few things to make enchiladas with my brother. Every other male in the place had a bouquet of flowers in his hand. None for me. But you know what, that is okay. Instead of crying in my cereal (because I’m not a big fan of cereal anyway) that there isn’t someone to spoil me with roses and chocolates and to whisper sweet nothings in my ear, I continue to look forward with hope, trusting in the knowledge that Christ sees my heart. He knows my prayers that no one else has access to. I believe He loves me more than I can even fathom, so I’ll trust in His timing and plans. I’m just being to discover how sweet they are.

I did think back on a Valentines Day approximately 16 years ago. I was in 1st grade and was one of those girls who spent hours hand-crafting Valentines for every student in my class. No store-bought ones for me!

The next day as I was going around the room passing out my little tokens of love, I realized that I had missed one. The night before as I was writing each name on the frilly paper hearts, I thought I had accounted for everyone. But I had forgotten one name. I felt utterly crushed inside. I don’t even think he noticed, but I did. And to this day, I still remember his name… Patrick.

So, my Valentines advice: don’t forget people, it might be ingrained in your memory forever. And avoid grocery stores too.

No comments: