Thursday, January 11, 2007

In Pursuit of Balance

Sometimes this life gets going at such a crazy speed; my little brain feels like it can’t take it anymore.

I had a wonderful time at home for Christmas, enjoying lots of food and football with my dad. Catching up with old friends in our old hometown, and driving to Bellingham, Canada & Seattle to see many other precious friends. Life was at a good speed, maybe even a little slow.

I’ve been home for just under a week and have felt shot out of a cannon. Four days later, I’ve finally answered all the emails sitting in my inbox, waiting for me. Meetings, appointments, to-do lists abound.

Tonight was the first evening that I’ve actually done more than just sleep at my house. I’ve been out and about every other night. Mostly good stuff, but I’ve come to realize I do so much better when I’ve had some quiet down time. I’m very much an introvert in that way – I recharge by being quiet (& sometimes alone).

The crushing speed and demands of life made me feel a little overwhelmed and unbalanced today. As much as I really do enjoy my job, I desire a time in life where I don’t have to work so that I can continue to have a warm place to sleep and food in the fridge. Will I ever have the opportunity to make a home for a family? To keep a cozy and clean house? Cook meals for loved ones? Or at least have the time to make it to the grocery store before 8 p.m.? Some days it feels like such a far off dream. But I’m holding onto that dream and trying to learn how to stay balanced in the craziness that is called life. I really don’t think it is ever going to slow down.

No comments: