Friday, March 11, 2005

Longings

I think I have the two week itch. Or homesickness is sinking in.

The first little bit of this new adventure has seemed a bit like a short-term missions trip. You go with the knowledge that God will be using you and making everything come together in His time, but now I’m feeling the need for familiarity and the comforts of home.

I want a good home-cooked meal (that wasn’t thrown together by me after a long exhausting day).

I want the closeness and comforts of family. People who know you through and through and love you regardless of your shortcomings.

I want those deep friendships, where you can call anytime and invite yourself over.

I want to look forward to my weekends, knowing that you’ll be doing something fun with friends, rather than wondering how the heck you are going to pass the time.

I want to drive on streets that I know like the back of my hand. A place where you don’t have to consult a map or drive around aimlessly for 15 minutes trying to figure out where you are.

I want my commute to work to be my nice little 2 mile hop, instead of a 45 mile roundtrip trek across the desert.

I know, just take one thing at a time, but I’m just a little tired of trying so hard right now.
***
Here’s how you know you’ve reached my street, just look for the overabundance of mailboxes:

No comments: