Friday, November 19, 2004

Step of Faith

Steps of faith – it’s never an easy thing, but if it’s a step in the right direction, there is nothing more rewarding.

I just got back from a road trip down to Bend, Oregon to check out the ranch that has been on my heart and mind for the past couple months. Stepping foot on the soil that has been a lifeline to so many horses and kids seemed a little surreal. The chilly air reminded me that this was very real, but it was slightly hard to believe that I was actually there, in Oregon, checking into this possibility, rather than just going along my daily existence talking about this thing I would like to do, but never actually taking the step to possibly make it a reality.

I was able to take a tour of the ranch, hear the stories of the different horses, be loved on by these gentle giants, and see this haven of rescued dreams. There were some boys from the local juvenile detention center there doing chores, and also so other kids riding some of the horses. I got the chance to see the ranch is motion, and it was an incredible sight. It made my heart long to be a part of the mission that they have.

They close down for the winter (December – April), but it looks like a good possibility that I may be taking up residence in Central Oregon come spring. It’s a scary thought, but also a liberating one. If you get a chance, I highly recommend the book that the owner, Kim Meeder, has written about the ranch (Hope Rising) – it’s definitely a tear-jerker.

No comments: