Thursday, December 30, 2004

Good Reminder

Am I the only one who gets asked by strangers why I’m not married or dating anyone? It’s bothersome enough when it’s from people I know at weddings or family gatherings, but total strangers who I’ve just met? (I guess it could be partly due to the fact that I work at a church where there are a lot of younger staff, all freshly married within the last two years or so.)

Granted, it’s a question I ask myself sometimes. My parents say I’m too picky, but I figure it’s better to be a little picky than not. For the most part, I’m okay with this single thing, but there are definitely moments when it would be nice for that dream to unfold in my life.

It’s always interesting when a bunch of us girls get together and start chatting late into the night. Everyone has their boyfriend/dating/break-up stories, and I just listen and throw in my one story about when I was 17… It always makes me feel a bit juvenile.

But I was reminded a couple nights ago that God is looking out for my best. As much as I complain at times that He hasn’t brought “the one” into my life as I watch all my friends (and the younger girls I used to mentor) get married, I found myself saying, “Thank you, Jesus.” For some reason, He is sparing me from unneeded pain and a damaged heart. He is allowing me to have my life and heart shaped without distractions. He is daily preparing me for what He’s got in store.

I’m sure I’ll go on complaining (and having random people gawk that some guy hasn’t “snatched me up”), but deep down I’ll quietly trust in the plan He is unfolding. I can’t see much of it yet, but I know it’s a good one.

No comments: