Tuesday, October 12, 2004

And I Thought I Had It Bad

It was a rough start to the day. I doped myself up on NyQuil last night so I could actually sleep and then had about 5 pillows propping me up so I could breathe. I actually sleep decently; well, as decently as you can when you are waking yourself up every hour or so by a coughing fit.

It was a debate this morning whether to go into work or not, but responsibility won out. I had way too much stuff to do to let it go for two days. Plus, we were taking the Staff Christmas picture this morning, and it always feels good to be included. (I was in the front row - I’m sure you’ll be able to see my droopy eyes.)

I forgot that we needed to wear black slacks for the picture until about 10 minutes before I had to leave (we usually have to ‘dress up’ somewhat, but I was going to try to sneak by with jeans today - I was sick after all!), so of course my pants needed ironing. (Thankfully they were already clean, though.) Since ironing is my mom’s least favorite chore and she only gets around to it about twice a year, the ironing board is stored out in the garage. As I step into the garage to retrieve it, I place my socked foot onto something soft. Wondering what this plush thing was on our hard concrete floor, I turn the light on.

To my unpleasant surprise, it is the tail of a squirrel, with one leg still attached.

My lovely cat who is older than dirt (she’s 15 yrs. old) brought me a gift. How sweet and thoughtful of her. Other than being thoroughly grossed out because I stepped on the thing, I actually thought it was pretty funny. I had no idea that hunter-of-a-cat still had it in her. (Years before, the cat had brought snakes, birds, mice, moles, etc. home for our approval.) But I guess this was the squirrel that my mom watched gather nuts every morning during her quiet time, so she wasn’t so thrilled. Oh well, the circle of life must continue.

No comments: