Monday, October 25, 2004

Blue Skies, Shinin' On Me

I’m feeling the need for a tropical beach about now. It’s a little gloomy and windy outside and I’m craving the white sand, warm water, and glorious sun. Don’t get me wrong, I love the Northwest weather, but you can never quite go wrong with a sunny beach.

I was blessed last January to be able to accompany one of my best friends, Stephanie, to Hawaii. Her job was sending her over to Honolulu for job training (the benefits of working for the government) and I was able to tag along. We were put up in the Hilton situated right on Waikiki Beach, and it was like heaven. Our first meal there (steak and lobster on her business account) was a very surreal. It was hard for us to imagine we were really in Hawaii and not in some counterfeit setting like Disneyland. The week was wonderful and we were definitely spoiled with fun times in the sun.

Then a couple months later in April, I helped lead a group of students on a mission trip to Cabo San Lucas. Yes, we were in a highly populated vacation spot, but we really didn’t see a lot of that. We lived and worked in the barrio’s – helping to build a house for a doctor, and also putting on health fairs for children, to teach them about simple hygiene and healthy eating practices.

We did get a little bit of free time and the beach was our destination of choice. We were also blessed with a ride on a yacht our last day there and were able to relax and enjoy our beautiful surroundings.

It’s been 6 months and I’m feeling the need for a vacation again! Anyone want to offer me a free trip somewhere?


No comments: